- 2 T olive oil
- 11 oz sausage
- 2 T butter
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1 1/4 C long white grain rice
- 1 small red & green bell pepper, sliced.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup.1/2 C sour cream
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 8oz Hall’s Beer Cheese
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 jalapeno, diced
Before you begin, refer to your rice package for the amount of liquid (I used chicken broth) and cooking
time. You’ll need 3 + 3/4 cups of cooked rice.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Slice sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices and cook
according to package instructions. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add butter and minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth to pot and run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pot to lift the brown remanence
from the sausage, which will give the dish more flavor.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice. Bring back to a boil and cover tightly.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and close the lid, do not stir. It will release starch and make the rice sticky. Cook for
10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave it covered. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Any rice left on the bottom will release
during this time.
- Return to low heat. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk and beer cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve.