Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110-110 F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
For Beer Cheese Sauce
- 8 oz Hall’s Beer Cheese (Your choice of Original or Hot ‘n Snappy)
- 4 tablespoons of half & half
- Add additional cayenne pepper to make a hotter spicier sauce
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
- Mix the salt and 1 T melted butter into the yeast mixture. Gradually mix in the flour until you can form a ball and the dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Place the dough back in the bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the water adding the baking soda stirring until dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Remove dough from bowl and divide into 8 sections.
- Roll each section into a 12-inch rope.
- Cut the rope into 12 one-inch bites.
- Bring water to a boil and place enough bites, each being completely submerged in the water, for 20 seconds. Remove bites from the boiling water using a slotted spoon placing them on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Sprinkle each bite with coarse salt while they are still wet. Repeat with all bites.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter upon removing the bites from the oven.
- While the bites are baking, place beer cheese and half & half in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds at a time, whisking every 30 seconds until cheese is warm. Serve with warm beer cheese sauce.